Sunday 16 March 2008

Editing

You've heard the adage: a great book is not written, it's re written. In the many rewritten drafts the story is moulded and polished.
Well, I've learnt another truth. To discover the real story within one must 'dewrite'. It's in the deleting and the word reduction you really come to differentiate between what you like about the story with what is truly essential to entertain the reader. I guess it's a case of putting the reader's needs before the author's.
I had no idea I was having so much fun on my own. :) But now I know, I have reduced, reduce, reduce and the story is better for it. Now the forest is gone we can all see the wood for the trees.

1 comment:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Glad to hear that you feel you have improved the book. I can't wait to read it.
A rewrite, a cull, a change of POV still takes you back into the world you created, keeps you in touch with the characters. Teaches you more about them.
I find it is always a pleasure returning to the scenes, becoming involved again in the adventure. Even culling, can highlight the drama, give scope to avoid the 'boring bits' that might lose a reader.
It's all good!!
Glad you hare enjoying it.